Eating well doesn’t need to take time, especially with all the new quick-fix healthy foods, such as bagged lettuce, instant brown rice, skinned and boned chicken breasts, frozen vegetables, and jars of minced garlic. Here are a week’s worth of healthy dinners that take less than 20 minutes to prepare:
1) Grilled salmon, baked potato (cooked in the microwave) topped with fat-free sour cream, steamed broccoli (frozen), and a glass of nonfat milk.
2) Chicken breast salt and peppered, rolled in flour, and “fried” in small amount of olive oil. Serve with tossed salad (fat-free dressing), roasted mixed vegetables (place a bag of frozen stew vegetables in flat dish, toss with a little olive oil, rosemary, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees for approximately 15 minutes), slice of French bread, and glass of calcium-fortified fat-free soymilk (or nonfat milk).
3) Planned Leftovers: Make a big pot of lentil or vegetable soup, beef and vegetable stew, spinach lasagna, or a large casserole that can serve as dinner once or twice during the week. Serve with spinach salad (from bagged, pre-washed and chopped spinach), and fresh fruit, such as watermelon chunks.
4) Broiled halibut topped with corn salsa (bottled salsa mixed with extra corn and diced red onion). Serve with steamed instant brown rice, baked acorn squash (in microwave), tossed salad, and nonfat milk.
5) Nachos: Top baked tortilla chips with heated fat-free refried beans and diced low-fat cheese. Bake until cheese melts (about 5 minutes). Accompany with heaps of chopped tomatoes, salsa, chopped cilantro, and diced red onions. Serve with baby carrots, apple slices, and a glass of calcium-fortified orange juice.
6) The 5-Minute Meal Salad: Broil chicken early in the week and refrigerate. For dinner, cut into bite-size pieces to top salad greens (from pre-washed, pre-cut bag), diced red onions, drained can of mandarin oranges, and low-fat salad dressing. Serve with a slice of bread, glass of nonfat milk, and fresh fruit.
7) Shish-Kabob: Skewer carrots, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, onion slices, mushrooms or other vegetables with small hunks of chicken breast or firm-flesh fish. Brush with bottled teriyaki sauce and barbecue until done (about 10 minutes). Serve with tossed salad, instant brown rice, and sliced tomatoes. Photo credit: edbury enegren via Compfight